10.2.12

Un (favourite film)

I have been to a grand total of 2 of my English Canon seminars since I have been at uni and I have to wake up in just over 3 hours time if I decide to actually go today. I also have a load of overdue photos to post. So, of course, I am going to launch my 30 day challenge stupid tumblr thing on this fine friday morning.
Duh, what else.




So sue me its a cliché cult classic and I am fully aware that anyone who has any knowledge of pop culture can recite at least 3 quotes from it from the top of their heads. And yes I know that it is by far not the best film out there in terms of cinematic feats.
However this coked up little gem here seeded my utmost prevailing love for film when at the tender age of 11 years I decided it would of course be a good idea to watch this rated 18 mysterious video tape. Roughly two hours later I was left feeling repulsed, shocked, utterly confused. Yet at the same time I was completely in awe. I finally understood that film (lets ignore the infestation of shitty 3D ones for a moment shall we) is a medium of art, expression, politics, true story telling, a fuck you world, everything.
Very few other films leave me feeling in some sense - dare I even say it - numinous but from the top of my head A Thin Red Line and Reservoir Dogs are also pretty fucking good.
I don't think I can quite process just how much film has changed me as a person over the years. The way I think, act, dress, look at the world, appreciation of art, adoration for music and literature, and so much more, have all been influenced by film in some way or another.
Isn't that fucking crazy.
Yet its funny how at the same time it is equally just as much of way of escapism from mundane reality.
This all makes me wonder what I would be like as a person if film or cinema was never created. Would I still be 'myself'? It seems to confirm my belief of Sartre's existentialism claim that man has no nature. Or nurture over nature. Whatever you want it call it.
Even just talking about the concept of what Pulp Fiction represents to me and seeing how it takes my mind into these different ideas and paths and ways of thinking makes me love it all the more.
And I haven't even touched on the actual film itself.


(If by some insane reason you have not watched it, what the hell are you doing. Go. Now. Its bad-motherfucking-ass. Trust me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment