12.2.12

Deux (favourite song)

I'm not going to lie, I've been putting this one off. Its also taken me bloody ages from writing the title to clicking 'Publish Post'.
I could go off on a rant about how the question is stupid and demeaning and what the hell does 'favourite' really mean anyway because it can be so relative and in what context is it held and how the hell can I just pick ONE and and and yeah. Even though I feel like I'm missing so many - while some of my favorite bands greats like Nirvana, The Rolling Stones and The Clash aren't even featured - I decided to go for a selection of songs which personally affected/still affect me the most, not just those based on the respect and recognition they rightly deserve.

The Pixies - Doolittle
Three years ago I was in a little independant record shop and I heard a weird-but-kind-of-absolutely-amazing-song playing in the store and I proceeded to ask the owner who the band was. £5 and a thousand consecutive plays later I had fallen in love with music and it changed my life. So no, I won't pick just one song from this album.

The Cure - Just Like Heaven
This evokes nostalgic memories I don't even have.

The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
"To die by your side would be such a heavenly way to die" - the most depressingly romantic lyric known in pop culture?

The Wombats - Moving To New York
So my music taste has definitely evolved drastically over the past 3 years but this is just fantastic simple noughties (eurgh don't you just hate that word) british indie at its best. It brings so much nostalgia to my summers of 2009/2010 and I still feel like even today its lyrics apply to me so well.

Gossip - Standing In The Way Of Control
This was my fuck my parents fuck my life fuck everything lets get absolutely fucked song of a few summer ago.

The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Utter sex. Perfect rock. My god that bass line. Simplicity at its best.

The Dodos - Undeclared
This makes me feel warm and fluffy but incredibly sad and lonely at the same time. Its remarkable how two instruments, two voices and a few notes evoke such depth and emotion. It reminds me why I love music. A gorgeous little thing this is.

I Blame Coco - Kato
Exactly the same goes for this gem as well. Her voice is beautiful, you can tell she's Sting's daughter. For some reason I seem to love music that initially may be heard as sweet or upbeat but which infact has an darker element of sadness to them.

Interpol - Untitled
There's just something about this that I can't quite put into words. Plug in some good bass speakers and turn this up loud.

The XX - xx
This is possibly my second favourite album of all time after Doolittle and again I can't pick just one song. The whole thing is a bit of a modern masterpice. I've never heard anything quite like it. I randomly stumbled onto this video about half a year before they hit the masses and I was instantly hypnotized.

The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun
I don't believe this one needs any actual explanation why its one of my favourites.
It is just pure and unadulterated genius/sex/badass. And him. Those eyes. That voice. Man, that voice. And the keyboardist, fuck he has some talent. Look at them all staring at you at the end, like they know. How could you not fall in love with this.


Fuck it, I take everything back I said before. This is my favourite song of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment